Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Wandering Blog

I came to the end of a very busy work period, and it happened to coincide with a family gathering. My sister and her kids were flying east to see my Dad for his birthday. I used my fast fingers of fury to fly through Expedia and found quite an enchanting deal. After double checking that no work would sneak in (clients have had a habit of calling just as I leave, with more work) but they said "nope" and wished me well on a mini-vacation. That sealed the deal. Albany, ho!

Traveling from Burbank to Albany NY is arduous. But I think I found a key: flying through Las Vegas. There seems to always be deals involving the City of Sin. I stopped in Vegas going in and out. (TWSS?) To make an early AM flight in Vegas, I flew out the night before. And coming back west, I had to stop in Vegas and stay again last night. So twice in the last week, I was A Single Man Loose In Las Vegas.

I could tell you more about what happened, but from what I understand, that information is privileged, and I violate some marketing rule about discussing the events. (Perhaps a future blog is in store.)

I got to see my niece and nephew, which was just loads of fun. They are ages 8 and 11, respectively. We went go-kart racing at a "funplex," and they also were on a trampoline/ bungee thing which looked like fun. My nephew "beat" me in racing (I decided it would be mean for me to bump his kart, since it's not allowed and all that.) The temptation was there. Niece was just a bit too short to run the go-kart herself, but Grandpa let both of them drive around the backyard on the tractor. That may have been their favorite thing in the world.

The niece also found an accountant/ adding machine, the kind that spits out paper. She went out with my sister in support of an Obama presidency last fall, and has decided that Uncle Dan is rich enough to give bills to. Bills larger than the federal deficit. Oh the numbers! I think my bills reached into the trillions. I tried to express that her bills were not itemized. She didn't flinch at ignoring that remark!

Ergo, I did something I never have done before: I wrote her a check that will bounce. I wrote it out for a gazillion dollars. I don't have a gazillion dollars. Very hard to teach such an important lesson to an 8 year old. But, this is how our country got in this current mess to begin with! I don't forsee a federal bail-out for Uncle Dan.

Saying goodbye to the kids, and then flying back was a little tough. They're at a great age. Uncle Dan is someone to have fun with, and abuse, and race and send bills. I think I'm gonna have to fly up north and visit them when they get out of school this summer.

Lastly, a quick note: I blogged Belz! Suck it!

No comments: